This year I am doing Orphan Christmas with Maria and her bevy of lesbians. I am glad to have Maria back and relieved, that in the end, me taking a break from the friendship was the right thing to do. I think we both get it now. It took a lot of faith and a willingness to lose something. I am rarely willing to risk losing something. I think there is a lesson there for me.
I didn't do gifts this holiday season. I just... couldn't. I found some things in my journeys that were meant for specific folk, but I didn't go Christmas or Hanukkah shopping. I pondered ways to keep my dog. I made delightful pastries -- these pear-filled bite-sized puff pastry concoctions and, what ended up looking like a very 'rustic' version of Ellen's Apple Tart from the Silver Palate. I usually make it in a small skillet but I doubled the recipe and it had a hard time holding its shape. I am sure it will still taste good, but the smaller version is more gorgeous.
I'm house sitting for my friends and their aging bevy of pets. Same friends I stayed with this summer. I have known those guys and the pet menagerie for a long time now, and it makes me pause seeing them so delicate. They are not my pets, but I am their primary house sitter and I enjoy having them in my life.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment