Thursday, January 3, 2008

All For The Love of A Dog


I'm going to try a compromise with the ex wherein we do the dog exchange My Way with minimal contact (i.e. "I'll be there in 10 min" and the dog is all leashed and ready to walk) *and* alternate drop off/pick up *and* when I get the dog I get her for a week or two at a time. This satisfies me and my dog yearning, satisfies my landlord and his apartment-related concerns and satisfies the ex too. She started off caustic and angry -- as she has been in all our exchanges as of late, but I feel like she made a big change by the time we were done talking. We even discussed the possibility of arrangements changing in the future. She agreed that if I buy a house or move to a more dog-friendly house that we could do a change of primary residence. I feel satisfied with this outcome for now. I hope it works. She finally seemed to hear me about my discomfort regarding boundaries and such. So. Compromise. As of today, my landlord *has* said that I can have the dog... so that's always a possibility. My land lord is a very sweet man. He was there when I got home and pet Fancy Pants and then went over what the paper work he was sending asked for... namely her license number and vet name and number, 'just in case'. He seemed impressed that she had a chip. I have never had a land lord that was so thorough and invested in his properties. It's refreshing and nice.

I am still dissappointed and angry with her -- the boundary thing, the lack of discourse and the f**ed up way this whole thing has been handled -- but the fact that my life feels so nice and light these days really is helpful in letting that stuff... go.

I am finally going skiing/snow shoeing tomorrow! I can't wait. I even drove out to Mendon Ponds just to make sure it was snowy enough! There were skiiers out with head lamps knee-driving away through the night and I felt jealous even though tonight was bitterly cold. I hope it warms a bit by tomorrow. I have Fancy Pants with me until next Wednesday and I have lots of time to walk and play and snow shoe with her.

Tonight I walked her and brushed her and clipped her nails and now she is sleeping at my feet making little monkey noises in her dreams.

No comments: