Last night I went night ice-skating with my friends Maria and Julie and their bevy of lesbians. I am not much of an ice skater having only done it a handful of times in my life... but I was feeling stressed out by statistics and the fact that I had to walk away from the house. I am real sad about that, but I just couldn't do it. Anyway, I needed the break and ice skating presented itself. I am so so glad I went! It was gorgeous and fun! The movement is a lot like skating on skis, so I was able to figure out how to move forward briskly (eventually). Not so much on the stopping part, but I didn't fall!
Also, Maria and I took a moment to wax poetic about the evening, as we sometimes do and a poem was born! I am so pleased with it that I am going to share it!
But first, I am going to paint a little background for it. Maria once went on a trip and memorized a poem for me as a gift. It was among the most precious and thoughtful gifts I have ever received and was called Sanderlings http://www.geoffbartley.com/geoff_bartley_026.htm. A gorgeous read (particularly if it is read to you), that I heartily recommend. At any rate, Maria and I were racing across the twinkly twinkly ice discussing the loveliness of the full moon and how graceful Julie is on ice skates and in general. Flying across the ice and musing about the moon with Maria made me think of night flying both in action and in words and a poem was plucked out of the universe whole. Here it is:
Ode to the fullness of the moon,
and the grace of my lover.
Light reflected off her blade
cuts quick;
cuts clean to the heart of me.
Thank you again for the poem Maria! For both of them!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment