Monday, November 22, 2010

It's Been Raining Here

Let the rain kiss you. Let the rain beat upon your head with silver liquid drops. Let the rain sing you a lullaby.

Langston Hughes

It's nice to think about it that way. I haven't been. In my mind the rain is a wall of cold driving drops that penetrate directly to the core of the heat of me; they sizzle when the cold of the drop hits my skin.

I am procrastinating. I need to go jog in the rain now. I dread the first drops will be sharp and cold. I think I will be glad I went once I actually go. I think I will be grateful for the smells and sounds and feel of the air and rain drops on my skin.

Edited to add report from a jog:

The rain lifted once I started, and it brought warm air instead of cold. I was too warm -- so warm I had to take off a layer at the top of the staircase. There's a late blooming butterfly bushy looking thing in the park. It has these bloops of deep purple which are made up of tiny flowers. It is next to the butterfly bushes that bloomed this summer/fall -- but they are all barren looking now, with this hybrid brazen purple bush prancing behind them. I ran down an old street I used to live on. The retired folks were out on their lawns raking and doing last minute fall-clean up. I waved hello and felt like I was home. I'm very glad I went. I ran 4 1/4 miles. My furthest in a very long while. My goal is to be able to run a 10k.

No comments: