Saturday, April 12, 2008

Confessions of the telephone variety

I haven't, as a rule, been much of a phone talker in my life.

Pretty much I have used the phone to make plans, not to chit chat.

It has been a bit of a joke among my friends, actually.

As a result, cell phones, phone bills, phone bill plans, talking plans, long talks and other phone conversation-related factoids are among the things I have an inscrutable naivite about. I don't know why, but historically, phone conversations always kind of made me uncomfortable. Maybe it is because I grew up with a party-line? More likely it is that I can be a bit of an ADD-girl in conversations. I do listen, but my mind makes connections and then I change subjects or wander during conversations in general... this fact is highlighted on the phone. Also, the part where you can't see the facial expressions or read body language makes me feel disconcerted.

Anyway, it doesn't matter because all that is over for me now.

All because I have discovered joy in talking on the phone. Delight, even. A lot of it. With one person in particular, with whom I talk on the phone. A lot.

So here I am, I finally get the telephone.

Which is wonderful. It has opened my eyes to a new delight! I heart these long talks.

I have discovered that late at night when I get sleepy-drifty, it feels as if space kind of folds in on itself like one of those morning glories at twilight ...and sometimes, sometimes it is almost like being right *there*, you know?

Which is wonderful. Awesome, even.

Except for the part where I am totally naive about phones and phone bills and charges. Yep. I knew that perhaps there would be some cost. I learned today, with the arrival of my phone bill, that there is a very hefty charge associated with this new found delight.

This fact makes me feel resentful, and possibly grumbly.

So, my confession of the telephone variety is that now that I have discovered the delight of the telephone, I don't care to give up my new favorite thing!

Hmmm.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i did Notice your newfound comfort zone. bravo! although i haven't entered it myself yet!
-mek

a former nitwit said...

One word for you: SKYPE.

db said...

Yes. Skype. Have it, have used it, think it's grand. It does need both individuals to have it and a computer to load it on, unfortunately.