May started cool and rainy and took a long time warming. Recently, I have felt summer begin to sing to me. The night sky in the summer always seems to fill me with a sense of being a part of things. I had that feeling the other night. On this particular night, the sky was filled with stars and stolen kisses, the light of a loan firefly and the occasional passing car. The air was warm enough for shorts and cool enough for leaning and filled with the soft sounds of friends gathering to build a fire -- bellies filled with laughter and tandori chicken kabobs, slowly kooked over the fire with love.
Also. I am a bad, bad blogger. I have not updated y'all about my birthday or life in general in a while now. I forget, sometimes that people read this thing.
Eeep.
My birthday was both amazing and wonderful (and I am sorry I didn't write to update folks about it earlier). Kelly came! I ate Alaskan king salmon! The sun shone the whole day and I felt very peaceful and generally happy despite having been so disappointed-y earlier. I made plans to go to Maria's for dinner and grill, walked in the park and at sometime in the afternoon a certain surprising, enterprising and very dear woman surprised me by calling to tell me that she was coming to visit after all! The trip was monumental in that it required a 5 hour drive each way, it took place *immediately* following her last final exam in a grueling week of final exams *and* she was only able to stay for 24 hours. Needless to say, I was surprised and delighted (and very thrilled) that she was able to come and it totally totally made my day. Kelly arrived around 6:30pm and then we went over to Maria's. Maria let me grill on her Webber grill (!). We had fresh caught Alaskan king salmon with a lemon, dill and brown sugar glaze, grilled red and yellow peppers, salad and maria made a citrus-berry mousse. I made some sugar and apple brandy coated strawberries for the top of a store-bought cheese cake (which I forsook for Maria's amazing dessert). We used the strawberries on top of the mousse. It was fantastic! The rest of the 24 hours was also fantastic and very memorable, but the only thing that I recall about that is blog-able is a walk through the flower-heavy and fragrant lilac blossoms in the park. The lilacs were amazing this year - full and heavy and all blooming at once. The park is amazing when the lilacs are in bloom and it feels like the sort of place one might come across a silver unicorn named Indigo nibbling lilacs under the moon.
Also. I spent a lot of this month contemplating school. I have decided to apply to midwifery school. It is a shot to do the kind of care I want, and it is an option I feel I need to give myself. I am not sure yet what I will decide, but life is short and I want to provide health care for women and while I am here walking in my own skin, I think that maybe, maybe I deserve to reach toward something I really want.
I have more to update about this month... and I shall (I swear it!). For now, though, time is running thin and I must run.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment